Whatever your word is, you need to feel it in your heart, so that you will willingly apply it in every moment and in every goal you plan for.
My word for 2012 is Fulfillment. I had too many plans, too many ideas, too much challenges and tasks at hand. I felt that I could have accomplished much more if I could just bring myself to calm down, turn off the mind chatter and focus on my ‘circle of influence’ rather than the ‘circle of concern’ as Steven Covey teaches. Soon after I devised my plan, intentions and goals for the New Year, this word just popped into my mind: Fulfillment! “Yes. This is exactly what I need”, I thought. It reminds me to live in the moment, be aware and mindful of my tasks at hand, do my best and just let it be, surrender to the Divine Will. It reminds me of my powers, potentials and achievements. Sometimes, when we dream big and work hard, we fail to slow down and notice what we achieve on our daily basis. We sure do have many achievements; don’t let your stress-filled life put you down. You are doing great, we all are, as long as you are doing your best, taking baby steps every day, adjusting your intention and taking care of all of ‘you’: Body, Mind, Heart, and Soul, You are on the right track. Keep going and don’t get discouraged. Don’t underestimate yourself, your powers and your abilities.
Here are my guidelines for the New Year:
1. Get grounded: connect to the ground, to nature, to the earth. Spend more time outdoors; you cannot imagine the immense energy earth and nature supply us with. If the weather does not allow, get some indoor plants for the time being.
2. Eat healthy: you owe it to yourself to take care of your body. We wouldn’t fill your exotic car with cheap gasoline, why then, are we filling our bodies with cheap empty-calorie food. Eat more live food, raw fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, seeds and nuts. And, most importantly: Read your labels.
3. Live mindfully: turn off the autopilot. Live fully enjoying and benefiting from every moment of your life. Involve all your senses in every day experience.
4. Simplify: Simplify your physical life as well as your emotional, spiritual, and mental awareness. Go around your house, get rid of the clutter, get rid of all your unused items, clothes or furniture, and fill a charity box. Simplify your mind, reduce stress, breathe, relax and meditate. Simplify your emotions, forgive, love and allow love and peace to touch your heart and soul.
5. Listen to your heart: Trust it. Trust your intuition and deep heart whispers. When you simplify your mind and emotions, when you practice forgiveness, piety and purity, you will experience the beauty of a pure heart; and you will listen and learn so much.
6. Connect with the Greatest Power of all: Connect with your Creator. Live with sincerity and purpose and let the Divine light touch your spirit and guide you to the Right Path. Strengthen your connection with daily prayers, supplications and Divine Remembrances (Dhikr Allah).